Welcome to the Secondary School (Year 7 -12)
Small learning communities – powerful learning opportunities.
The Secondary School includes all students in Years 7 to 12. Year 7-9 students are provided with a broad, general curriculum that covers the key learning areas with a focus on Literacy, Numeracy and ICT. Some units are presented across curriculum areas (English, Maths, Science, History, Geography, Health, ICT and Art) to enhance creativity and facilitate independent learning.
Year 10 students are provided with a general curriculum and are also given opportunities to choose subjects that meet their needs, including some SACE units, Vocational Education and Training Programs and School-Based Apprenticeships.
Year 11 and 12 students are able to choose from a broad range of SACE Stage 1 and 2 subjects which are offered face-to-face or through our cluster school local delivery. Students also have the opportunity to study Vocational Education and Training Programs and School-Based Apprenticeships.
Flexible learning is a key aspect of our senior school with individual learning programs being developed to suit student needs.
Tintinara Area School has established a clearly identifiable sub-school that is small, caring and specifically addresses the needs of young adolescents by providing:
- spacious, attractive, well-resourced learning areas
- small teacher/student ratios
- small pastoral care groups
- leadership opportunities
- strong communication
- activities reflecting a shared community include:
- drama productions
- buddy classes
- agricultural studies
- sporting activities
- community studies
- cluster school deilvery
- Stepping into Secondary parent session in Term 1
Teaching and Learning Practices
As members of the SA Middle Schooling Network, Tintinara Area School is committed to developing teaching practices that seem most productive at this middle level of learning by:
- negotiating activities and assessment tasks
- teaching explicitly the strategies and criteria to achieve success
- introducing different learning styles and brain theories to help them in planning and managing their own learning
- emphasizing higher order thinking skills by introducing them to thinking models like Blooms Taxonomy
- developing strong relationships
- designing cooperative learning activities
- encouraging student participation in decision making
- modeling reflective thinking – creative, critical and caring
- promoting physical activity
- working with neighbouring schools to extend the learning opportunities and social interactions of our students
Tintinara Area School is designed to meet the specific intellectual, physical and emotional needs of young adolescents.
This is accomplished through:
- a broad curriculum that is challenging and relevant, allowing students to make informed choices about their future direction
- teaching and learning methodologies that encourage risk taking, keen engagement and are adapted to cater for a variety of learning styles
- the integration of information and communication technologies across all areas of the curriculum through our computer network
- close pastoral care through the development of positive relationships between teachers, students and their families
- the provision of leadership opportunities through the Student Representative Council (SRC)
- the opportunity to engage in a range of extra curricular activities
Tintinara Area School
Department for Education trading as South Australian Government Schools & Preschools